Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Basement Bathroom done!

After roughly four months of work, the bathroom is done. We've been using it for about a week now and everything is working great. The city will sign off on the permit after final inspection next week.

For those of you who are interested, the final cost was about $3500 for materials. We had two plumbers in to help with things that I either couldn't or didn't want to do. One was relocating the refrigerant line that goes from the furnace to the compressor outside. I'm fine with sweating copper pipes, but I don't care to deal with refrigerant. The other was the drain lines under the floor. After busting out some of the concrete floor, it was obvious that the connections were going to be complex. As with any time a professional is hired, the cost was not insignificant, but well worth it. I did the rest of the work myself. (Maggie helped grout the wall tiles!)

I did not tally my own hours on this project. I worked on it a LOT, many evenings, weekend days, and my days off were spent downstairs. I found it all quite enjoyable.

I'll start on the second floor full bath remodel this weekend. It will get a new tile floor, fresh walls (we're thinking wainscoting), tile surround in the tub, new vanity and toilet, and a vent fan.

So here is the video tour (co-starring Jasmine).

3 comments:

Jane said...

Nice tour! The boys loved when Jasmine came in and got her own subtitle.

Good thing you enjoyed it since you're going to do it again!!!

Unknown said...

Nice job Bill! I'm impressed. I remember helping my Dad with lots of remodeling jobs when I was a little girl. Some of the best memories I have are of working with him. Good for you.

wclaspy said...

Thanks Jane, and Donna.

I like to drag the kids into the work when I can. Maggie found applying the grout hard to do but once we started sponging it out- which is when it starts to look really nice- she was all smiles.

Jasmine ALWAYS wants to be in the mix. I'm just hoping I don't frame her into a wall one day!