Monday, December 13, 2010

From the Shop

Colder weather makes for more time for indoor projects, and as such, I'm back at work in the shop. I've not done much in the way of furniture building for more than a year, and am itching to get back at it. Construction and household projects are satisfying, but cabinetmaking is more so for me.

I've got three sets of plans up on the wall. First are two smaller projects: a pair of saw benches, and a long-overdue triple frame for three watercolors by my brother-in-law. Finally, a bigger project, a glass door book case.


This fall I've been building Shaker boxes. These are fun to make and can be done with small chunks of time. Their form and utility are wonderful. My friend Daniel was interested in learning how to make them, so we worked together. I've made two sets of sizes #0 through #5, which are all done but for finish.


A nested set, sizes #0 through #4, sans tops and bottoms.


Stacked #0 through #4, on top of a pair of bigger #5s.





Stack of pine (saw benches) and cherry (picture frame and bookcase) awaiting their fate.

"Don't make something unless it is both necessary and useful;
but if it is both necessary and useful,
don't hesitate to make it beautiful."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I count myself as a very lucky person to have received two lovely Claspy shaker boxes...and I count them among my most treasured possessions!!!